[asterisk-dev] Re: Improvement of coding practices

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Dec 28 16:24:01 MST 2006

On Thu, Dec 28, 2006 at 05:27:23PM +0100, SF Markus Elfring wrote:

> >Features with patches, however, do properly exist in the bugtracker, as
> >they
> >are prospective additions, not pie-in-the-sky proposals for new
> >functionality.
> >
> I imagine that there are useful suggestions that need more time than you
> might expect to gain popularity and acceptance.

The bug tracker is generally for issues on which there's generally a
concensus regarding the right way of action.

If a discussion is needed, it should be done in the list.

> >Proposals for new functionality (without patches) are properly discussed on
> >this list.
> This results in maintenance of two information channels.

Right. Sadly the Mantis does not interact well with the rest of the
word, and relying solely on it is not good enough.

> >That is the only way to ensure that all developers have a chance
> >to notice and contribute to the discussion.
> No, not from a technical viewpoint. It depends on which system gets the
> focus and critical mass of attention.
> A mailing list can become overloaded. How many traffic can the readers
> cope with? Additional tools help to filter and follow only the
> interesting topics from various discussions.

It seems to work so far. And some of the developers are even known to
even use MS-Outylook with its poor threading support. You have a mailer
with much better threading support, so it should be simple for you.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com