[asterisk-dev] Asterisk log format

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Sat Dec 23 16:50:36 MST 2006

Andrea Spadaccini wrote:
> Do all Asterisk logfiles (verbose, error, warning, notice etc..) follow
> the same convention?
>
> Right now, I think that the format is
>
> TIME DATE LEVEL[PID] FILENAME: ERROR_TEXT

Yes.  However, there is an option to disable timestamps in the logs, but I can't
imagine any reason people would want to do that.

> but sometimes this line has a dot as the first character, and sometimes
> there's just
>   -- sometext

I have no idea why a log message would begin with a dot.  Can you provide an
example?  Also, lines beginning with " -- sometext" look like the types of
"verbose" messages shown on the console.  However, when verbose messages go to
the log files, they should follow the same format as other messages, with a type
of VERBOSE.  So, if you have examples of those, we can look at those, too.

> Can I safely assume the format I described above as the Asterisk log
> file format?

Yes.

--
Russell Bryant