[asterisk-dev] bugs with build

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Tue Dec 19 16:52:38 MST 2006

Steven Critchfield wrote:
> Not sure how to classify this kind of bug so not yet ready to put it on
> the tracker.
>
> Trying to build a minimalistic install of current 1.4 branch revision
> 48581. Seems chan_zap has a dependency for SMDI that wasn't caught at
> the menuselect. Also res_features has a dependency for ast_monitor_stop
> and some ADSI functions that were not caught by menuselect.

You are correct.  There are some cross dependencies between modules and these
types of dependencies are not handled by menuselect.  I would say that these are
known issues that have never been addressed.  It wasn't noticed as much before,
because before, by default every module possible was built and installed.  Now
that people are slimming down installations by not having many of the modules
even compiled in the first place, more people are running into this problem.

> This could be handled in two ways, polish by catching the dependencies
> and requireing them, or possibly fixing the references if not needed.

There are two things that need to be done to clean up this situation.

1)  There are some patches on the bug tracker to add more "stub" files into the
core to remove some of these cross module dependencies.  This is already done
for res_crypto, but the same thing needs to be done for other modules, as well.

For reference, here is a patch to do this for res_adsi:

http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=5930

2) Menuselect needs a couple of new features.  The first is directly related to
this situation.  The second is just something else I'll mention while we're on
the topic.

- We need the ability to specify cross-module dependencies.

- We need the ability to specify mutual exclusion between options.  For example,
you should only be able to specify a single storage type for voicemail.

--
Russell Bryant
Software Engineer