[asterisk-dev] any easy way to block automerging ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Mon Dec 18 15:27:52 MST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 03:19:00PM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > I find this svnmerge feature exceedingly annoying:
> >
> >     > svnmerge block -r 48566 -P branch-1.4-merged -B branch-1.4-blocked
> >     svnmerge: "." has local modifications; it must be clean
> >
> > Given that I do need local modifications to build stuff on my
> > (non-linux) systems, this means that to run svnmerge i need an extra
> > clean copy of the tree.
>
> It wouldn't matter if svnmerge didn't complain about this anyway, as
> you'd have to be extra careful during 'svn commit' to avoid committing
> your local mods as well. It is much safer this way.

too safe to be convenient.

i think we all are used enough not to do a 'svn commit' on the
entire tree, and even then review the list of files that have been
changed.  i am pretty sure i made only one mistake in the few hundred
commits i have made recently.

perhaps svnmerge is not the right frontend to use when all you
need to do is modify a property or two. Why should it bother
looking at the status of the rest of the tree ?

Following your suggestion on irc, the first part is

	svn propedit branch-1.4-blocked .

then i suppose i need a

	svn commit <something>

where the <something> tells svn to affect only the property file(s)
(.svn/dir-props and .svn/dir-prop-base) and not the entire tree.
If such a command does not exist, maybe we
can indicate one file with unimportant changes (e.g. whitespace)
to fool svn and commit the property change without touching
the entire tree ?

	cheers
	luigi