[asterisk-dev] extend IAX2 IE proposal

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Dec 10 18:47:46 MST 2006

On Sunday 10 December 2006 19:17, Russell Bryant wrote:
> Derek Smithies wrote:
> > Suppose someone uses this mechanism to send a 100 K datablock.
>
> It would not be possible to send a block of data this size using this
> proposal. The SEGMENT proposal as described would only allow a maximum of
> 17 segments (0xF0 to 0xFF) of 255 bytes each.  This would be a maximum of
> roughly 4.25 kB.

16 segments, actually, for 4080 (4096 - 16) bytes.

I've just updated the iax2 vars implementation (bug 7619) to automatically
segment variables into multiple IEs as necessary to encode the full value.
Since the OP was using this implementation originally to do what he wanted,
this should obviate the need to go any further along this path.

My objections to sending variables inside IAX2 packets has lessened a bit in
the past several months (although I still think many proposed uses are
cockamamie), so this could probably be committed to trunk in the next several
weeks.

--
Tilghman