[asterisk-dev] extend IAX2 IE proposal

Derek Smithies derek at indranet.co.nz
Fri Dec 8 14:31:10 MST 2006

Hi,
On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Markku Korpi wrote:
> Di-Shi Sun wrote:
> > We posted the extend IAX2 IE proposal and the patch for IAX channel driver
> > on bugs.digium.com. Ticket no. 0008531.

> We should consider carefully, whether this is really the way to go and even
> bring it into the RFC.
>
> This method is basically segmentation of a single IE type only.
> If we continue adding other long IEs in this manner the IE identifiers get
> exhausted very quickly. Additionally this method leads to bad protocol
> architecture.

Agreed.
 However, there has been discusssion on this list about alternatives. Some
of the alternatives would have broken interoperability with existing iax
implementations.

Full credit to Di-Shi Sun for putting up a patch to do the required job.

Markku, what do you suggest as the correct approach?
Protocols like SIP and H.323 do provide the required feature - and it is
inevitable that features like this are requested again.

Perhaps, we should provide a new full frame type with a very
general type/specification that all can forward etc, but only those
clients who need to know can decode it.

After a year (say) the new full frame type is a mandatory part of an iax
implementation. In the mean time, Di-Shi Sun can use his segmented IE
type.

 Derek.

--
Derek Smithies Ph.D.