[asterisk-dev] daemonising after possible errors

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Fri Dec 8 07:38:05 MST 2006

On 12/7/06, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com> wrote:
> > Something that I find bothering when I try to debug Asterisk is that it
> > deamonizes before most errors can occour. It will fork into background
> > before many potential fatal errors occour. Such fatal errors are in the
> > module loading time.

Personally, I'm all for this.  One of the most common problems I see
(especially when teaching Asterisk classes) is that people
misconfigure the signalling (or misnumber their channels) in
zapata.conf and Asterisk starts, forks to the background, and then
fails.  It would be quite helpful if it loaded the modules first
(reporting any errors), and then forked to the background.
Unfortunately, I have no idea how hard this would be to implement.

Anybody else feel like commenting?

-Jared