[asterisk-dev] -netsec sip_destroy_hook annoyance, libmidcom proposed change

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Dec 3 07:59:48 MST 2006

On Saturday 02 December 2006 23:03, Peter Beckman wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 December 2006 15:16, Peter Beckman wrote:
> >>   Is there a formal definitions of the verbosity levels and what is
> >>   appropriate at each level?
> >
> > There is not, but generally you can just use common sense.
> > ERROR is bad, WARNING might be bad, NOTICE needs to be
> > read to ensure something isn't bad, and DEBUG is only important
> > to the programmer.
>
>   Log levels I get, and are fairly intuitive; it's the verbosity levels I
>   don't.  log_verbose() is called "if (option_verbose > 1)" and I assume
> "1" means something?  It seems one can "set verbose 999" and the verbose
> level is now 999.  But is 999 any more or less important than 1?  The more
> "-v"'s you add to the command line, the more verbosity you get.  But where
> is the line drawn, the standard set, for which log_verbose log entry gets
> written at which verbosity level?
>
>   In this specific case, I believe that knowing that midcom is disabled is
>   worthless, and kind of a log-wasting-filler to even send to LOG_DEBUG.  I
>   don't see a problem with putting it in the furthest verbosity level
>   defined, but since it doesn't seem to have an upper limit, I was curious
>   as to how Asterisk developers define verbosity levels and how to use
> which and when.

Oh, sorry, I misread.  Generally anything that isn't core is level 3 or 4.  3
is generally for application-informational messages, and 4 is generally used
for debugging.  As with log levels, though, we haven't ever formalized a
definition, mainly because, as with log levels, common sense usually prevails.

--
Tilghman