[asterisk-dev] Re: [svn-commits] murf: trunk r41283 - /trunk/main/pbx.c

John Lange j.lange at epic.ca
Thu Aug 31 10:41:33 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 11:58 -0500, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > exten => _X.#,1,....
> >
> > Does not work. Everything after the "." is ignored and you are forced to
> > rely on the digit timeout for asterisk to start doing anything. This is
> > exceptionally annoying in this case because the timeouts are long to
> > allow people to enter a difficult number.
>
> That _may_ be considered a bug. I hadn't thought of useing the #
> terminater in the dialplan.
>
>  I would
> like to see the example you mentioned be able to work though.

The above example I gave turns out to be exactly what was tried. Instead
an AGI script was used.

So basically all they want to do is capture a variable length of digits
and use the "#" to indicate they are done entering.

exten => _X.#,1,<action>

Is naturally what you would think would work but it doesn't. In fact, it
does violate the pattern match because if you don't enter a "#" at the
end and just let it time-out Asterisk still considers it a match. Again,
it seems as though it just ignores everything after the "."

I reserve the right to be wrong here because we really did not do any
in-depth analysis of exactly what was going on. Once they used an AGI to
solve it I didn't return to the issue.

The loop idea you suggested was one we hadn't thought of and the
existing AGI works fine but both require many lines of "code" to do what
really should be a single line.

--
John Lange