[asterisk-dev] Potential bug in background()

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Aug 30 14:30:33 MST 2006

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 15:33, Olle E Johansson wrote:
> background() in 1.2 seems to have changed.
>
> For the longest time, it has worked as in the help file. If there was
> no response, it would look for "t" and execute timeout.

Background actually isn't doing this -- it's the underlying PBX code.

> In 1.2.11 on a system I was running today, it immediately did a
> hangup refering to AUTOFALLTHROUGH. The only way to fix it was to add
> a waitexten, which
> I suddenly discovered in the example in extensions.conf.sample - it
> was not needed before as background took care of it.

The other way to change this behavior is to set autofallthrough=no
in the globals section of extensions.conf.  Note that the option
defaults to "no", so that it would not break dialplans from 1.0, but new
dialplans would have the option set to yes when the example file was
copied into place.

> I need to test this on more systems, but wanted to check if this is a
> well known change in 1.2
> or if it's just me not understanding a thing and totally ignoring to
> read available documentation
> in google?

I think it's well known, although I don't necessarily think its
introduction was that great to begin with.  The probable reason for
its introduction was that new users have a hard time understanding
the concept of the PBX implicitly waiting for a new extension.  I
suspect that the default will be changed at some point from "no" to
"yes" and users of older dialplans will be forced to set the variable if
they want the old behavior.

--
Tilghman