[asterisk-dev] Re: [svn-commits] murf: trunk r41283 - /trunk/main/pbx.c

John Lange j.lange at epic.ca
Wed Aug 30 08:57:05 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 10:31 -0500, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > Already the existing system has some limitations; for example it can not
> > match a variable number of digits. I had a friend who was trying to
> > implement an ISDN lookup for library books (ISDNs are variable length)
> > but had problems because of the limitations on the matching.
>
> I think you meant ISBN. And variable number of digits is supported. You
> just need to know how to determine when it is shorter or longer and
> write your dialplan as such.

LOL, ya, ISBN. Apparently I've exceeded the maximum acronym storage
limit of my brain.

> Think about it, in dialplans, most people have short internal extensions
> that can be dialed, and longer PSTN local and even longer PSTN LD
> numbers that can all be handled just fine.

I'll ask for the specific example. I think it had to do with terminating
with a "#". So:

exten => _X.#,1,....

Does not work. Everything after the "." is ignored and you are forced to
rely on the digit timeout for asterisk to start doing anything. This is
exceptionally annoying in this case because the timeouts are long to
allow people to enter a difficult number.

--
John Lange