[asterisk-dev] Re: [svn-commits] murf: trunk r41283 - /trunk/main/pbx.c

John Lange j.lange at epic.ca
Wed Aug 30 08:10:59 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 09:38 -0400, Jared Smith wrote:
>   (I know what you're thinking -- I'd like to be able to use regex
> matches too -- but that's probably overkill at this stage.)

Its inevitable that Asterisk will need regex matching at some point. The
current matching system is heavily tilted toward numeric usernames and
extensions but more and more we will begin to see email style address.

Already the existing system has some limitations; for example it can not
match a variable number of digits. I had a friend who was trying to
implement an ISDN lookup for library books (ISDNs are variable length)
but had problems because of the limitations on the matching.

If I can throw my 2c in; I think the existing system should be preserved
for backwards compatibility so any new system should have a different
prefix. The natural choice for regext would seem to be "/"

exten => /[1-9][0-9]....

--
John Lange