[asterisk-dev] Re: NOTIFY resync and SPA2100

Simon Gregory simon at myphones.com
Wed Aug 23 14:37:32 MST 2006

After discovering the 401 challenge-response support was not in Asterisk, I
implemented it in our proprietary softswitch.

What took a while to figure out was the following (it may well be I
misinterpreted RFC2167 but I think not) -  normally when building the
response to a challenge the request URI (not provided in the challenge) is
as you would expect - the request URI that went on the header of the
original SIP / HTTP / any other request that it makes sense to challenge. So
for SIP this is typically sip:<extension>@<softswitch designation>

But in this case the "server" is the SPA, and so I had assumed that the
request URI in the response should be the reqest line of the original NOTIFY
as it was sent out to the Sipura.....which typically would include the IP of
the SPA itself. But it doesnt - instead it's the IP address of the entity
sending the NOTIFY (my softswitch).

In the 1st instance I have put this down to the implementation of the CR
model as it pertains to the SPA...but could not get any info from Linksys /
CISCO to coroborate this.

So I ended up building a test harness to drive the NOTIFYs at the SPA
varying changing 1 parm in the digest each time. 75 iterations later I had
something that actually worked rather than continually sending me 401s.