[asterisk-dev] Understanding Voicemail Storage

Alistair Cunningham acunningham at integrics.com
Wed Aug 23 06:05:47 MST 2006

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> Incorrect.  A new or moved voicemail is created at the last slot,
> not at the first slot.  Existing voicemails stay in the same order,
> from the oldest placed to the newest placed.  Note that this is the
> order in which they were placed into the subfolder, which is usually
> (but not always!) in chronological order.

This reminds me of a topic I meant to bring up but never did.

In some future version of Asterisk, it would be very nice to have
voicemail message file names be a unique identifier that never changes
for the message. This would make software that manages these files, such as:

1. Web interfaces.

2. Software to replicate mailboxes between Asterisk machines, keeping
track of which files have been deleted, etc, for purposes of high
availability.

3. Software to synchronise mailboxes with IMAP, Outlook, etc.

more robust.

Alistair Cunningham,
Integrics Ltd,
+44 20 799 39 799