[asterisk-dev] readline support in asterisk

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Thu Aug 17 09:57:47 MST 2006

>> While I realize that readline support is not getting into asterisk
>> any time soon...
>
> What do you mean, not anytime soon?  It was ALREADY in Asterisk
> previously and was removed due to licensing concerns.  The current
> editline code is in there intentionally, because it is more freely
> licensed than readline.

Interesting
Fetched from http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+GPL+Compliance

"Asterisk ships with Editline, a NetBSD library statically linked
into the asterisk binary. This library is released under the 4 clause
license that NetBSD uses to this day which is incompatible with the
GPL. In order to resolve the licensing conflict Editline must be
replaced. Without resolving this conflict, the GPL license of the
Asterisk distribution is technically invalidated which means nobody
has the right to use, modify nor distribute Asterisk with the
exception of Asterisk Business Edition customers (commercially
licensed).

However, the GPL license is not invalidated on those files which do
not touch Editline which means it is possible to replace Editline
with a library that is licensed under a GPL compatible license such
as GNU Readline, and thereby get an Asterisk package for which the
GPL license applies. In other words is not necessary to wait for
Digium to fix this issue, it can be done by anyone with the skill to
replace the offending library."

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
roy at karlsbakk.net
(+47) 98013356
---
In space, loud sounds, like explosions, are even louder because there
is no air to get in the way.