[asterisk-dev] Order of authentication checks in chan_sip.c

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Aug 17 07:12:06 MST 2006

----- Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque.com> wrote:
> referring to the existing setup (all asterisk 1.2.10 on FreeBSD 6.1),
>
> SIP Exten 1234 <---> AsteriskA <--- SIP ---> AsteriskB <---> SIP Exten
> 1234
>
> AsteriskA and AsteriskB are interconnected using SIP, with AsteriskB
> registering to AsteriskA.
>
> now, the problem happens when sip.conf on both Asterisks have an entry
> for
> 1234 (as above), since they both have a SIP hardphone attached to
> them.

As Olle already responded... It is not recommended to use extension numbers or CLID numbers as SIP peer names (and in fact it can't be done when an Asterisk server is being used to host multiple PBXes with similar extension numbers).

On my own systems, I construct the SIP peer names for hardphones using a portion of the phone's MAC address to avoid this exact issue.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Senior Software Engineer