[asterisk-dev] libwrap

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Aug 8 14:29:15 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 17:15 -0400, Peter Beckman wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 08 August 2006 13:29, Peter Beckman wrote:
> >> Noticed that Asterisk doesn't use libwrap.  Any reason?  Could it be
> >> added? It would be handy.
> >
> > The fact that Asterisk does not have external dependencies now is
> > entirely by design.  Unless there's a convincing argument put through
> > to start, I don't expect that to change.
>
>   It'd be nice as an option; I don't know how difficult it is to put hooks
>   into Asterisk to allow for the inclusion of the library.
>
>   I agree, it shouldn't be a requirement, but it is a nice-to-have for those
>   of us (unlike Kevin :-) ) who do like using the libwrap built-in controls.

See what it takes to put that in but as a compile time option. At that
point it might make it in.

>   In a completely somewhat-related question, is this lack of dependence on
>   external libraries, other than the list below, the reason why Asterisk
>   does not use the seemingly common ./configure scripts?

No, lack of outside dependence has more to do with licensing issues.

The ./configure scripts are not being used mainly because we couldn't
get enough people around for long enough to do the autoconf stuff. I
think that is changing, but I haven't run any of the trunk stuff to look
at the new build procedures.