[asterisk-dev] Zaptel drivers

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Aug 8 12:40:37 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 14:33 -0500, Tim Johnson - Eclipse Electronic
Systems wrote:
> I hope I'm in the correct place to be asking this question.  I'm having
> a hard time locating resources for assistance with the Zaptel modules
> and how to extract data from the character devices.  In other words, not
> using Asterisk.  I'm basically just using an E1 link to send basic PCM
> audio over in a particular channel (channel 1 in my case).  On the
> machine with the Digium card (TE205P) I'm simply trying to get the PCM
> audio out and into a sound card.

I think you will have to do more than just work directly with the
individual channel as you are using a PRI circuit. Had it been a CAS
line, I think you can just use the channel as you tried to.

I think you will need to incorporate the libpri library into your work.

Last time I tried to use the zaptel drivers with out asterisk, I created
a perl library wrapper and used it to generate calls, and audio into the
channels. But like I said, I think you will need to use libpri to deal
with your E1.