[asterisk-dev] H.323 channel driver maintainer

Miroslav Nachev miro at space-comm.com
Tue Apr 25 23:22:05 MST 2006

   Hi,

   From our practice (more than 10 real Asterisk installations) the
other reason to use H.323 instead SIP is that the SIP protocol is not
suitable for unstable networks (WAN) because when the network
connection is broken and after time is restored the SIP registration
is lost. The only way to reconnect is with restarting. That's why for
the connection with big SoftSwitches like NetCentrex we use H.323. The
other alternative of H.323 is IAX, but NetCentrex doesn't support it.
   Finally the SIP protocol is good for LAN and SIP end user devices.

   I have one question about H.323 recognition/authentication. Now the
H323 channel doesn't support username with password
recognition/authentication (h235: h323id = GATExxx|password).
Are there any plans this functionality to be realized?

   Best Regards,
   Miroslav Nachev