[asterisk-dev] Command Syntax -- weird?

Peter Beckman beckman at purplecow.com
Mon Apr 24 10:29:47 MST 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Johansson Olle E wrote:

>> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 11:38 -0400, Peter Beckman wrote:
>>>  All I'm asking for is a little welcome access into the developer
>>>  world.  I can read the Change logs, and I can read the code, but
>>>  having someone, such as yourself, let me know that "As of 1.4,
>>>  Voicemail return code FAILED now also occurs when the user enters a
>>>  DTMF that is not 0 or *."
>>>
>>>  That way I can document the changes between versions, and a single
>>>  piece of web-based documentation can serve to document an Application
>>>  throughout the Asterisk development.
>
> Why start something new instead of cleaning up the Wiki and keeping it up to
> standard?

  A few reasons:

     1. Control.  Anyone can post anything on the Wiki, and lots of hard
        work might go down the drain when someone comes a long and clobbers it.

     2. Formatting.  The wiki isn't portable.  I can't take the
        documentation and easily convert it to PDF, HTML, even Text files or
        Man pages.  The DocBook format seems to be a popular standard, and
        with some checks and balances, can be a great way to document and
        deploy documentation in several formats.

        It also allows for easier translation of the documentation.

     3. Source Control.  For the same reason anonymous SVN write access is
        not allowed to the dev trunk, the documentation should be controlled in
        the same way.  A small, coordinated group will always do better than
        a large, uncontrolled group.

> And the commit messages are what is being used to check for changes,
> that's what I keep track of for all my training material.

  Steven just pointed that out; I will subscribe.  Though shouldn't it be
  called asterisk-svn now? :-)

Beckman