[asterisk-dev] Command Syntax -- weird?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Apr 24 01:31:40 MST 2006

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 11:15:42PM -0400, Peter Beckman wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006, Russell Bryant wrote:
>
> >Peter Beckman wrote:
> >> The fact that flags to voicemail (though you point
> >> out that his is changing - sweet!) are part of the mailbox# string is
> >> confusing when the Dial flags are a comma delimited part of the
> >> parameters.
> >
> >Actually, the options string to Voicemail was moved to the end even before
> >Asterisk 1.2 was released five months ago.  In fact, this change was made
> >on
> >April 13th, 2005 - revision 5461 (we're currently on revision 22230).
> >That was
> >over one year ago!
> >
> >So, perhaps before you make posts to the development list pointing out
> >problems,
> >you should check to see that your statements are still accurate, and not
> >more
> >than a year out of date.
>
>  I normally would!  Where's that documentation?

You seem to have missed the obvious:

>  I found this: http://www.asterisk.org/doxygen/app__voicemail_8c.html
>
>  But I can't really find the options for Voicemail in that 1MB file.  By
>  doing a "show application voicemail" and searching for "This application
>  allows" I did find it in line 338 of app_voicemail.c.

Hmmm... so you need a small driver that will extract and format the
usage details from all the applications?

>  And I agree, it clearly points out what the options string to Voicemail
>  is.
>
>  I believe most people who do not develop Asterisk and who don't know about
>  the "show application xxx" command (and while they should, they don't)

People should know about that. If you're trying to write dialplans, you
should know about that. If you think that the current CLI of Asterisk is
not "accissible" enough, write a different front-end. It need only
connect to Asterisk via a unix-domain socket or via the manager
interface and doesn't necessarily have to be part of the Asterisk
binary.

Tzafrir Cohen      sip:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
icq#16849755       iax:tzafrir at local.xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406