[asterisk-dev] DTMF detection and generation code

Chris Lee cslee-list at cybericom.co.uk
Sun Apr 23 09:44:48 MST 2006

Steve Underwood wrote:
> Anything which cares about the length of a DTMF digit, other than
> meeting the requred minimum, is badly broken.

Maybe so, but why should we decide to remove information from the
communication?
We are moving forward here, duration is information that can be used to
advantage by applications if it is received, why remove Asterisk from
the pool of systems that can cater for such applications, if they are
developed?

I agree that a minimum duration should be produced but, if the button is
held down longer, then the other end may want to know.

Disclaimer: I am in the process of developing such an application;
Asterisk can not work for us yet but other products work well. We use
Cellular/PSTN (various networks) to ISDN to IP to IVR without any user
impacting variance in tone length detection, variance of +-80ms is
acceptable for our application.
So our app is not broken unless we try to use Asterisk to drive the calls.

Regards
Chris.