[asterisk-dev] Realtime Dialplan

Alf Scherer asterisk at jass.at
Fri Apr 21 16:24:15 MST 2006

Hello Friends,

recently while testing Asterisk's Realtime feature I engaged into an
interesting problem: the current implementation of the realtime dialplan
switch requires the context to exist in the extensions.conf, otherwise
the pbx implementation does not know how to handle an non existing
context (however the context exists in the database).  if I setup a
database for an easier management I still would have to change the
extensions.conf every time I add an context and do a "extensions reload"
on the Asterisk CLI to reflect the changes? Hmm, that somehow turns the
whole idea of having a database based dialplan down to nonsense.

(correct me if I'm wrong with my assumption)

Basically it means, if I use a database to setup my dialplan with
different contexts I would have to add each of the contexts to the
extensions.conf, instead of having some sort of "fallback" context that
would in case of an unknown context have an 'eswitch' directive asking a
Realtime switch to lookup the desired context in the database.

It might also be that I didn't read the FM as good as I should have, but
I really didn't find any reference that would point me into a direction
of how to solve this problem.

For that reason I patched the files pbx.c and pbx_config.c to add the
functionallity of a "catchall"-context that would ask a Realtime switch
for the desired context and extension. That basically means that by
using the patch you are able to manage the dialplan completely through a
database without ever doing an "extensions reload" as it should be.

Tell me if you are interested in testing and I'd contribute a patch for
the latest SVN release.

Greetings
Alf Scherer