[asterisk-dev] autoconf_and_menuselect branch

Andrey S. Pankov casper at casper.org.ua
Wed Apr 19 10:14:35 MST 2006

Hi,

I contacted directly Russel and Kevin, but with no luck :(
I'm a bit lost in the situation...

But I ask again: do somebody need _working_ autotools
support in asterisk or not?

Current branch code doesn't build at all on e.g. FreeBSD.
It is not buildable on other systems as well. The only
supported platform is Linux. Are you OK with that?

There are lots of problems even in Linux support.

Kevin, why do you close autoconf related bugs on the
asterisk bugtracker and ask me to contact one of its
developer directly, but when I contact you directly
you wrote me about "following the rules"?

Russel, do you need some help? It seems like you started
ignoring my emails with suggestions. :(

I fully understand that asterisk development process is
controlled by Digium, but it would be nice making public
the decisions on some points.

I was kindly informed about architecural freeze on Friday
last week, but as we can see it didn't happen.

Closing reports on the bugtracker with "will never happen"
is very informative. Let me ask why this will never happen.
Why HTTP support should be in the core for example? Because
this is Mark who made decision on this? Not sure here...

Why trivial but useful changes need months of evaluation
process? Is everybody comfortable with that?

Let me stress again on the necessity of the roadmap for 1.4
release. What chages are planned to be integrated? T.38
passthrough support? Autotools support? We need to
elaborate the must have list for 1.4 and it should not be
released unless every item in the list is marked DONE.

I'd ask the community not to be passive side in the process.
Mark with at least +1 in the reply body that you've read
this message and do read the -dev list from time to time.

Awaiting for some feedback at least,
faithfully yours,
Andrey S Pankov a.k.a. casper