[asterisk-dev] iLBC packet loss concealment

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Apr 17 04:33:51 MST 2006

Matt Ranney wrote:
> On Apr 16, 2006, at 6:33 AM, Steve Underwood wrote:
>
>> Skype is certainly better than the PSTN when going Skype to Skype, but
>> why do people think it sounds better than the PSTN when going to the
>> PSTN? Is it just psycological, or are they using an environment (e.g.
>> headset) that just sounds better than their usual phone? Having they
>> been using a Cisco 7940 with G.729, where a real PSTN to PSTN
>> connection would sounds rather better? I find it an interesting
>> comment that Matt made.
>
> Part of it I'm pretty sure is that headsets just sound better than
> handsets in most cases.  Part of it could also be that Skype/ilbc
> wideband sounds better than g.729.

In addition to all of the factors previously mentioned (eg, audio
bandwidth, codec, etc), other pstn items impacting perceived audio
quality include:
- the characteristics of the analog phone itself (some are very poor),
- noise (and induction) on the pstn line,
- quality of the plant (eg, copper cables),
- low audio levels due to lengthy pstn lines, etc,
- audio bandwidth restrictions built into remote line concentrators,
- etc, etc.

A non-technical pstn user only knows that using Skype (or any other pstn
alternative) sounds louder and clearer, but doesn't have a clue why.