[asterisk-dev] iLBC packet loss concealment (was: code-cleanup concerns)

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sun Apr 16 10:22:55 MST 2006

[continuing top-threading madness ;-]

I agree with everything said thus far in this thread, and I
especially agree with Steve's assertions that 4khz is an artificial
and sub-standard limit to set for ourselves when we have so much more
to work with.  Let me throw a few actual questions to the group, so
we can stop being theoretical and try to improve our "product":

Statements:
  1) I have heard rumors (not from anyone at Skype) that the iLBC
codec used by Skype actually _does_ sound better than normal iLBC
even at higher bitrates, due to some clever manipulation of dynamic
range.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?  This might suggest how PSTN
calls sound "better" even though it's still only G.711 on the PSTN
side.

  2) I've often had problems with Skype's voice quality, so I won't
give them the perfect scores that everyone else is attributing to
them.  However: Kudos for them for throwing out the old rules.

Questions:

  1) Does the iLBC codec code in Asterisk perform Packet Loss
Concealment (PLC)?  If so, is it being done in the most optimal way?
Is it just in IAX2 or in SIP as well?  (there was an answer on this
by Zoa, but it still isn't clear.)

  2) Are the higher bitrate patches I've seen scurrying around the SVN
branch mailing list currently in TRUNK or still in "experimental test
phase"?  (see oej's "test-this-branch", and bug #5084, which really
just seems to support G.722 passthrough, and is not a codec
implementation)

  3) Is this all a moot point until more end devices support iLBC and
better PLC? (Hint: I don't think so, since I'd love to terminate all
my LD minutes to an Asterisk server with high-bitrate,
loss-concealing iLBC instead of just using G.711 like I do today.
Bitrates are not my problem; sound quality is my problem, but if I
get better than 64kbps for better sound quality then that's a bonus.)

JT