[asterisk-dev] code-cleanup concerns

Adrian Sietsma adrian_groups at sietsma.com
Sat Apr 15 21:45:46 MST 2006

Matt Ranney wrote:
  > Somehow the jitter buffering or packet loss concealment or whatever
> magic that Skype uses makes it work better than asterisk/IAX over the
> same WAN link.
Having done some testing of voip over WAN, I would say it is both. I have
seen packet loss of up to 20-30% (using a CDMA wireless card). Skype's
codecs, including iLBC, seem very tolerant of packet loss.

Their client also has effective echo suppression, which makes using it
without a headset fairly painless.

Asterisk is also very prone to jitter problems, if I understand correctly.
Since outgoing RTP packets are triggered by incoming, that would reflect any
incoming jitter back to the sender, as well as passing it on. Issue 5374
should solve this.

Adrian