[asterisk-dev] HEADS-UP - module changes just committed

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Fri Apr 14 07:18:32 MST 2006

FYI...
	cheers
	luigi

Revision 20003  - (view) (download) (as text) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
Modified Fri Apr 14 14:08:19 2006 UTC (6 minutes, 3 seconds ago) by rizzo
File length: 28439 byte(s)
Diff to previous 19767

This rather large commit changes the way modules are loaded.

As partly documented in loader.c and include/asterisk/module.h,
modules are now expected to return all of their methods and flags
into a structure 'mod_data', and are normally loaded with RTLD_NOW
| RTLD_LOCAL, so symbols are resolved immediately and conflicts
should be less likely.  Only in a small number of cases (res_*,
typically) modules are loaded RTLD_GLOBAL, so they can export
symbols.

The core of the change is only the two files loader.c and
include/asterisk/module.h, all the rest is simply adaptation of the
existing modules to the new API, a rather mechanical (but believe
me, time and finger-consuming!) process whose detail you can figure
out by svn diff'ing any single module.

Expect some minor compilation issue after this change, please
report it on mantis http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=6968
so we collect all the feedback in one place.

I am just sorry that this change missed SVN version number 20000!