[asterisk-dev] FWIW: Voicemail crash in SVN-trunk-r19673

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Thu Apr 13 21:17:27 MST 2006

I try to run SVN-trunk as long as I can keep it running.  I revert on
showstoppers, of which this is one.  I (stupidly) wasn't home when it
happened, so I can't really try to reproduce.  Ergo, this is a "note to
developers" not a "bug report."  Sorry, and if anyone tells me these
aren't useful I'll never send another :-)

Synopsis: multiple calls spawned by callfiles crashed the server while
the first one was leaving voicemail.  When I restarted, there were
lockfiles in the INBOX directory, and one or more files in the INBOX dir
were hosed badly enough I couldn't run Asterisk again until I cleaned
out that directory.

Situation: I had a router failure and my automated network monitor
spawned a bunch of callfiles.  This has been a known cause of gastric
distress in recent SVN-trunk builds.

The first call proceeded fine.  I wasn't home and it went to voicemail.
  While it was recording, the second call came in, and asterisk crashed.

I restarted, and then tried to get my voicemail. As soon as I got
authenticated it threw a bunch of errors about a lockfile on the CLI.

In my INBOX dir there turned out to be three lockfiles.  I deleted them
and restarted the server.  Now I could auth, and got prompt that I had
one voicemail, but when I tried to fetch it the app disconnected
immediately.

I also discovered I couldn't leave new voicemails.

The second culprit was that when the server died, msg0000.txt was in the
directory with the name msg0000.txt.tmp.

For what it's worth.  I figured this might be of some use to whomever is
working on the voicemail stuff, even if it isn't enough for a bug
tracker report.

Thanks.

B.