[asterisk-dev] Asterisk accept wrong Codec

Thomas Winter thowinter at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 13 01:03:07 MST 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 02:40, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Hi,
>
> G.721 == G.726-32. The ITU renamed G.721 as G.726 some years ago, but a
> number of things still refer to it as G.721. That is what you are seeing
> in the Ethereal log. If you want to disallow this codec you need to
> refer to it as G.726, as Asterisk doesn't recognise the name G.721. As
> Joshua said, what you have shown is a system working properly. If it
> doesn't work end to end, your problem appears to be in another part of
> the signal chain.
>
> Steve

Hi,

thanks for clearify this.
The problem with G.726 is happened only with some provider sometimes.

These providers announcing G.726,  but it is not working reliable.
SparVoIp - 50 % of the calls with G.726 are unusable
SparVoIp - 100 % of the calls with ulaw are OK
T-Online - 100 % of the calls with G.726  are OK

SparVoIp (voipbuster) is very cheap and is using several gatways.

It seemed to be that these problems are only related to some provider and the
reason might be an bad configuration at the gateway end. I found also some
older cases of people having problems with G.726 and some provider. I did not
find problems like this for codec ulaw, G.729 or gsm.

So I will strict disallow G.726 for an provider if tests showing problems with
missing audio stream.
It is good to know that this problem is not Asterisk related.

Thank you very much for your support.

best regards

Thomas