[asterisk-dev] 0006889: [patch] Convert ast_verbose into macros

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Apr 6 13:47:22 MST 2006

Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> But the other side of that is it would allow a very low verbose level
> to be sent to the console, while letting a remote console display a much
> higher verbose setting.  Currently, if the verbose level is not set high
> on the console, those extra verbose messages cannot be seen on a remote
> console.  Additionally, the way that we filter verbose messages to the
> logger is, at best, a hack:  we scan and trim the leading characters of
> verbose messages.

While I certainly agree with this idea (and have wanted it for a long
time), it is definitely not going to happen during this development
cycle. Given that, whatever we change now can be easily changed further
in the future; changing from 'if (...) ast_verbose' to a single macro
actually makes that easier rather than harder.

> I honestly don't think the extra messages generate enough load to be
> concerned on any box that Asterisk is capable of running on, anyway.
> Use of a single good codec such as iLBC or G.729 is going to generate
> more load than all the verbose messages in that same timeframe.

Possibly... but there is still value in avoiding the argument processing
when it can be. For example, many verbose messages call translation
functions to turn an integer value into a 'pretty' string value, but
this is entirely avoided if option_verbose is low enough to not print
the message at all.