[asterisk-dev] Re: Asterisk timing without hardware

Mike Taht mike.taht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 12:18:39 MST 2006

On 4/6/06, Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 17:42 +0200, Goldenear wrote:
> > >Kind of a shame. It would be nice if asterisk could make use of its own
> > >timing source (using the 2.6 HPET would be a good thing), so no ztdummy
> > >would be required.
> > >

> > That's exactly what I was  asking for :)
> > That would be really nice if Asterisk (when using VOIP only)  could work
> > properly without the need to load any kernel module.
>
> umm, but HPET support is a kernel module. Albeit a kernel supplied, non
> third party module.
> --
> Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com>

also a good read on the new HRT implementation -
http://lwn.net/Articles/152363/

still need that hires clock source somewhere - but being tied to the ktimer
api ought to make it easier to use many variants of ppc,x86,x86_64, many of
which have high resolution clock sources that look unlike HPET....

Ktimers work in-kernel and are available in userspace via the posix hires
timers....

Mike Taht
PostCards From the Bleeding Edge
http://the-edge.blogspot.com