[asterisk-dev] 0006889: [patch] Convert ast_verbose into macros

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Apr 6 10:06:00 MST 2006

Andrey S. Pankov wrote:
> That will break third-party code, that's why macros are less annoying.

I don't see how this is any different than any other API change we make
between major releases.  We always strive to keep a constant API within
a major release unless we have determined such a change is necessary to
attain expected functionality.  However, in the development code, these
changes are all fair game.

> Your second idea is not good at all. This will result in ugly output
> since lots of stuff use pre-defined formatting in different levels.

Yeah, I forgot to note that.  It would only work if the only uses of
ast_verbose used the VERBOSE_PREFIXes.  I realize now that this would
probably not be reasonable.

Russell