[asterisk-dev] The Asterisk bug tracker :: please thinktwicebefore opening a report!

Wai Wu wwu at Calltrol.com
Wed Apr 5 12:46:26 MST 2006

I don't really think * should handle this. However, an option in the
dial command that allows you to specify a list of codec would be
helpful.

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-dev-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Brian Jones
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 2:46 PM
To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List
Subject: RE: [asterisk-dev] The Asterisk bug tracker :: please
thinktwicebefore opening a report!

I have a feature request, but I don't want to put it in bug tracker
unless someone here tells me it's OK.

I've already asked about this in #asterisk and on the forum, but never
received any help.  At least I don't believe this is a -users question.

I would like a way to do transparant codec negotiation.  For example, I
have one peer (peer A) that supports both ulaw and 729, and another peer
(peer B) that only supports ulaw.  As far as I can tell, there is no way
to force peer A to setup a call from peer B with ulaw instead of 729,
since that is the preferred codec for peer A.

What happens is this:

Call comes in from peer B and the SDP only offers ulaw.  Asterisk
invites peer A, and offers both 729 and ulaw.  It then reports a
combined capability of ulaw, but then proceed to try to bridge the calls
and transcode to 729.  This then fails, because I don't have 729
licensing on this particular server (and don't need it, because I
actually don't want to transcode). At this point, instead of falling
back to 711, the call fails.

Would a way to either fall back to other codecs or a way to force
"transparent" codec negotiation be a legitimate feature request for the
bug tracker?

Thanks,
Brian