[asterisk-dev] The Asterisk bug tracker :: please think twicebefore opening a report!

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Apr 5 11:49:30 MST 2006

Brian Jones wrote:
> I have a feature request, but I don't want to put it in bug tracker
> unless someone here tells me it's OK.
>
> I've already asked about this in #asterisk and on the forum, but never
> received any help.  At least I don't believe this is a -users question.
>
> I would like a way to do transparant codec negotiation.  For example, I
> have one peer (peer A) that supports both ulaw and 729, and another peer
> (peer B) that only supports ulaw.  As far as I can tell, there is no way
> to force peer A to setup a call from peer B with ulaw instead of 729,
> since that is the preferred codec for peer A.
>
> What happens is this:
>
> Call comes in from peer B and the SDP only offers ulaw.  Asterisk
> invites peer A, and offers both 729 and ulaw.  It then reports a
> combined capability of ulaw, but then proceed to try to bridge the calls
> and transcode to 729.  This then fails, because I don't have 729
> licensing on this particular server (and don't need it, because I
> actually don't want to transcode). At this point, instead of falling
> back to 711, the call fails.
>
> Would a way to either fall back to other codecs or a way to force
> "transparent" codec negotiation be a legitimate feature request for the
> bug tracker?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

The difficult thing about all this is that your phone is not calling
another phone in essence. It's calling Asterisk which then executes a
set of instructions that may or may not tell it to call another phone.
This causes each leg to be done independently of the other which is why
you have the issue above.

--
Joshua Colp
Software Developer