[asterisk-dev] Postgres Realtime driver

ml+asterisk.dev at oxymium.net ml+asterisk.dev at oxymium.net
Wed Apr 5 09:56:00 MST 2006

Hi,

On Tue, 4 Apr 2006 17:54:10 +0200 Olle E Johansson <oej at edvina.net> wrote:

 >| Friends,
 >| Time to make a decision on the realtime PostgreSQL driver
 >|
 >| As I have no experience of Postgres, I need some feedback:
 >|
 >| - What problem does it solve that can not be handled by using ODBC to
 >| postgreSQL?

At least dependencies: no need to install odbc stuff when you only work with mysql or postgresql.

 >| - This driver is based on the mysql realtime driver, which is known
 >| to cause a lot of
 >|    problems. Will this happen here too? Any testing experience?

The code is small and there's no 'strange things' so it should be robust at the end.
I've also taken attention to handle reconnections

 >| - Are there enough developers out there to maintain this driver? We
 >| don't want
 >|    to get stuck with code that is not maintained...
 >| I am playing devil's advocate here, so please give me some reasons to
 >| either
 >| say "thanks, but no thanks" or "committed" as a last entry in the bug
 >| report.

'Short pathes' are usually more robust (less componnents, less potential problems/bugs).
Postgresql is widely used and there's a lot of postgresql competent people
The code is small and basic

Manuel