[asterisk-dev] SIP Phone Conference from Asterisk.

Patrick Greene patrick.greene at evot.net
Tue Apr 4 06:41:12 MST 2006

Certain phones may support a first party call control developer interface.
This was common in the old days of TAPI and the like. You basically connect
to the phone and tell it what to do. Every vendor would be different and
most probably don't have anything like this.

An example is in the Nortel world, some of their phones used to come with a
serial adapter on the back for the specific purpose of application call
control. The application would send commands over the serial cable to the
phone. These commands basically equated with pressing various buttons on the
phone to perform the functions that you wanted. The phone would send updates
over the serial cable about incoming calls etc.

I have yet to see a phone in the SIP world that offers this sort of
interface although that isn't to say it doesn't exist. We ran into this
exact scenario about a year ago and wanted to be able to do what you want to
do, but gave up.

Patrick Greene
610-798-4896