[Asterisk-Dev] Mac Mini on Debian - Asterisk

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Sep 28 20:11:54 MST 2005

On Wed, Sep 28, 2005 at 09:54:35PM +0200, Tom Lo wrote:
> I just installed Debian (powerpc) and Asterisk on my Mac Mini. The only
> problem is that I cannot get mpg123 to compile ( I used the "make
> -linux-ppc" option). Please find at the end the print out for this. I also
> try "make generic" option and have a different error message (attached at
> the end). Can someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A. -users question
B. Have you tries http://packages.debian.org/mpg123 ?
   http://packages.debian.org/stable/sound/mpg123 shows a powerpc
   package in non-free (and it is not yet in free partially for
   technical reasons).
C. RawPlayer and alike work even better. You can extract one from our
   debs (http://rapid.dotsrc.org/rapid/pool/xorcom/ : asterisk-moh-wav
   has the conversion scripts, and the script ast-cmd from the package
   rapid-scripts also has the sox wav-player .

BTW: does the version of mpg123 in the source code contain the security
patches from Debian / Gentoo / Whatever as suggested in
http://mpg123.de/ ? Mpg123 is practically unmaintained now and has some
known security issues. Debian has fixed at least one bug labled as
"secuirty, but not released any advisory (probably because the package
is in non-free): http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=287043

All in all, due to that poor ercord, I'm not sure I'd use it for
streaming from the outside. And as for playing a standard mpg file: if
you do the transcoding in advance you will not only save much CPU time
but won't waste much disk space, because standard mp3-s are in CD
quality (stereo, 44khz) and phone quality has much less information
anyway (mono, 8khz).

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com