[Asterisk-Dev] Database backed Asterisk

Leif Madsen asterisk.leif.madsen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 00:56:50 MST 2005

On 9/27/05, Serge Sozonoff <serge at sozonoff.com> wrote:
> Hi Leif,
>
> > I just store the relevant information from the configuration system to
> > a database backend (your choice - I use PostgreSQL). From there, I
>
> OK so you are suggesting I write a small parser for the config files and then
> develop my own custom schema to suit. Its a bit more work but I will give it
> some thought.

It depends I guess on what you want to use it for. For my application
I actually inherited some code and have been extending it ever since.
This was the method it used and has allowed me to build a pretty
powerful system.

> >  At least in my case it causes a lot less problems and
> > complexity than RealTime (your mileage may vary).
>
> Do you have any examples of the cons or problems of the RealTime approach just
> so I get an idea?

Well basically, its just a gut feeling. I didn't spend much time with
RealTime, but I found it a bit cumbersome to use, and didn't really
have the time to "learn" something. I may give it another shot having
done more recent database development, when I looked at it I was very
rusty. Having said that, I know a few people who are using it
successfully. I just get the feeling it adds an unneeded layer of
complexity.

--
Leif Madsen - http://www.leifmadsen.com
Astricon 2005, Anaheim, CA, October 12-14