[Asterisk-Dev] removing depreciated code?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Sep 23 13:47:52 MST 2005

Steven Critchfield wrote:

> I would point out that removal of those portions would cause us to
> increment the major version to stick with rational version number
> schemes. Removal of the functions, especially the +101 jumps would be a
> non-backwards compatible change. Non-backward compatible changes should
> be met with major version number increases.

Exactly correct, and that is the plan at this time.

> We all know the next release is going to be 1.2. Therefore we should be
> able to expect backward compatibility of the config files.

Except for known issues that are documented in UPGRADE.txt, that is the
case. Sometimes the 'right' thing to do involves introducing some
backwards incompatibility, but we make an effort to ensure everyone is
made aware of those issues when they decide to upgrade.