[Asterisk-Dev] goiax expanded with free us domestic calling

Matthew Simpson matthew at txlink.net
Fri Sep 23 11:12:24 MST 2005

I launched www.goiax.com last week, which is intended to promote the use
of IAX as a free and open source alternative to products like skype.
There is no charge for the service.  Right now I have free outbound to
united states toll-free and us domestic numbers working.

Currently the site hands out a virtual 87820-xxxxxxx number but I intend
to add the ability to get a free United States DID [possibly other
countries as well] as well.

Please test it out.  You can use an IAXy, asterisk, or an IAX softphone
like iaxcomm.

I intend to also modify asterisk to allow some QoS checking to avoid the
problems IaxTel had with scalability.  I would like some developer input
on this.  My idea right now is to add an app to asterisk that listens on
a port for a status packet that will be sent from a softphone or
IAX-compatible device.  Asterisk would then reply with a packet that
would contain current CPU load, current mem load, and number of channels
up at that point.  I would also like to have the asterisk app know the
status of other IAX servers on that "network" and be able to reply with
the IP address of the "best" available server at that time.