[Asterisk-Dev] Re: #3986 bounty

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 01:28:54 MST 2005

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0509221353360.20166-100000 at kauri.acheron.indranet.co.nz>,
Derek Smithies <derek at indranet.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi,
>  so when are we going to change the name from
>
> cvs-stable to cvs-snapshot ?

While I understand the criticisms of the name Stable, I don't think
Snapshot is any better; in fact I think it's worse.

Snapshot implies that is is a copy of the state of development at some
given point in time.  It doesn't describe well the situation of making a
branch to which will then be applied bug fixes but not new features,
because they are then no longer snapshots.

I'm hard pressed to come up with a better term than Stable, to describe a
Stable, non-changing feature set and configuration files, where the only
code changes are made in order to fix bugs and improve run-time Stability!

I believe the Linux kernel also uses the term Stable in that manner.

Most of the complaints I see about the term "Stable" come from Roy S K,
because he's hacked off that no-one has fixed the particular bug that
causes his systems not to be Stable in the run-time sense.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield