[Asterisk-Dev] asterisk 'stable'?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Sep 14 12:30:10 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 21:15 +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> well, still, 'stable' imho should be STABLE, not just a figgin
> feature freeze
> perhaps it's time for reforming?

Well, still, maybe you should go read up on software design. Maybe we
should put notes here that this isn't for Roy until we are finished with
it.

Software goes into a feature freeze so bugs can be found and addressed
without adding new code to be debugged. The idea is that you as a
business should not be surprised by any changes in that tree. It should
break due to upgrade.

Consider the stable trees to be like a windows version, do you get
pissed that they ship patches from time to time to fix problems? Do you
see them make major changes during a patch cycle(excuse the XP sp2
changes). You only expect feature changes at major release changes. We
are getting ready for that, right? Then we will see. Of course you may
still exercise less tested sections of code and still see problems. I'm
sure you will make this rant again and again until you either are
finally suited on a specific revision or you lose interest and go
elsewhere.