Advantage / Disadvantage to install asterisk from CVS was: [Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk run as non root

Patrick asterisk at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 14 07:08:52 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 12:10 +0300, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
[snip]
> That script needs to create a user. Or is it a group? With what name?
> That part needs to be run only once.
>
> Now you need to chown/chmod a bunch of directories. And also make sure
> asterisk is never run without -U . Or is it -G? Or both? Or is it the
> job of safe_asterisk to do that?
>
> No, this is the job of the installer/packager. Wanna prove me wrong?
> Please write that script.
[snip]

I am working on (s)rpms of zaptel/libpri/asterisk/chan_capi for Fedora
Core 4 that I have changed last week to run as user/group
asterisk/asterisk. Once 1.2-rc1 (or whatever the first beta/rc will be
called) is released I will update the (s)rpms and announce them so
people with FC4 boxes can try them out.

Regards,
Patrick