Advantage / Disadvantage to install asterisk from CVS was: [Asterisk-Dev] Asterisk run as non root

Joseph syscon at interbaun.com
Tue Sep 13 15:52:54 MST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 18:12 -0400, Paul wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
>
> >I'm follows installation instruction from wiki and there is section
> >"Running Asterisk not as root"
> >It is not difficult to follow, but time taking.
> >
> >Why isn't this section implemented as in cvs if it is considered as
> >security issue?  I'm sure it wouldn't take much time to write a small
> >script that would change all the file permission and ownership during
> >installation.
> >

> It runs as user asterisk when using the debian packages. If you are
> compiling and installing it yourself, you are responsible to do the
> things that a package maintainer for any linux distro is generally
> expected to do.

So what other think are advantages / disadvantages of compiling from CVS
vs installing it from distribution.

Distribution Advantages:
1.)  Easy installation,
2.) All configuration (permission/ownership) is taken care of.
3.) Easy upgrades.

Distribution Disadvantages:
1.) Slow response to bug fixes.

Compiling from CVS Advantages:
1.) Faster bug fixing process.
2.) Ability to communicate with developers directly.

Compiling from CVS Disadvantages:
1.) Installation require few extra steps (not that difficult)
2.) Configuration (permission/ownership) is Do It Yourself; hence pron
to errors and it takes longer to upgrade.

--
#Joseph