[Asterisk-Dev] Is the ChanIsAvail command thread safe?

Carlos Antunes cmantunes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 10:33:52 MST 2005

Kevin,

Is there any mechanism currently on asterisk to "reserve" channels without
actually dialing them? I'm going to look at the code for Dial and
ChanIsAVail to see if a simple patch is possible but your guidance would be
invaluable.

Thanks!

Carlos

On 9/13/05, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:

> Carlos Antunes wrote:
> > Unless I'm missing something too, the inability to lock an available
> channel
> > appears to invalidate any potential use of ChanIsAvail.
>
> That is not true at all. If ChanIsAvail() tells you the channel is _NOT_
> available, it's very likely to stay that way while your next dialplan
> action runs (especially if it's because a SIP peer is unregistered, for
> example).
>
> > It would be nice to be able to tell ChanIsAvail to lock an available
> channel
> > until Dial is used or the dialplan logic ends.
>
> Sure would.

"We hold [...] that all men are created equal; that they are
endowed [...] with certain inalienable rights; that among
these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"
-- Thomas Jefferson