[Asterisk-Dev] IAX timing of VOICE frames

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Mon Sep 12 18:32:51 MST 2005

What is the right way for an IAX client (softphone) to time the sending
of VOICE frames to the peer?

The voice frames are 20ms in length, of course, but I find that if I
send them 20ms apart that very short periods of silence happen in the
other end's audio stream (the audio sounds "choppy").  If I send a VOICE
frame exactly when I receive a VOICE frame then that works out quite
well... so long as the other end initiates it, but that is not always true.

Any insight appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee.