[Asterisk-Dev] [patch] IM Manager Event

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Sep 5 06:21:47 MST 2005

Andreas Anderson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> someone knows what the status of instant messages over sip is? Will a
> complete IM make it into 1.2?
No. We only supports messages within a call, not outside of a call.
You can send messages to a phone with the sendtext() application today.

> If not, the following mini-patch generates a managerevent when you send
> a message using eyebeam.
Contribute patches to the bug tracker with a proper disclaimer, thank you!

If we are going to add a manager event, we have to do it in all channels
in a uniform way. The to: you are adding here is not the extension, it's
 maybe a device and the From: Is not an Asterisk device address. We need
addresses in the format TECH/address.

I've seen many separate patches for SIP messaging that does not fit into
the Asterisk architecture. In 1.3dev, we're going to start implementing
a generic Asterisk messaging framework. Do remember that Mark once wrote
GAIM, so we have knowledge of messaging available... :-)

/Olle