[Asterisk-Dev] Open G.729 / G.723.1 update, fixed memory leak

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Sep 4 21:40:01 MST 2005

On Sun, Sep 04, 2005 at 06:18:19PM -0400, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On Sunday 04 September 2005 18:06, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> > I never suggested that Digium's codec stops working permanently - I just
> > said it stops working - that is not FUD, it is something they have
> > deliberately chosen to implement.
>
> Actually no, it's part of their license agreement with the patent holders of
> the g729 codec.

[snip]

Still, the patent holders could not force them to write the g729
implementation in the first place. Digium here tried to make a certain
patent less painful to use and Daniel tries to make both patents less
painful to use.

Despite of what he writes later on:

> > I am not discrediting that, just pointing it out so people can make an
> > informed choice about which codecs they use (and which implementations
> > of each codec).  The smart thing to do is obviously avoid G.729 if
> > possible.

And not to start fighting with your system when you don't need to for
the wrong reasons.

--
Tzafrir Cohen     icq#16849755  +972-50-7952406
tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com  http://www.xorcom.com