[Asterisk-Dev] Compiling Asterisk for dual architectue

Jeff Gehlbach Jeff at JeffGehlbach.com
Fri Sep 2 11:13:49 MST 2005

Hi!

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 11:34 +0200, Aarno Syvänen wrote:
> I am interested to compile Asterisk for both ppc and i386, using
> MacOS X fat executable files.
> So first thing to ask is: has someone already done / currently doing
> this ?

I have not done this, but Darwin's binary format is Mach-O (as opposed
to ELF for most modern non-Mach Unixes), which has built-in support for
fat executables and libraries.  The OpenDarwin 7.2.1 install CDs
(corresponds to Mac OS X 10.3.2) lay down pretty much all the userland
as fat objects.  You could probably learn a lot from the project's build
scripts, check out http://darwinsource.opendarwin.org/10.3.2/ and
http://opendarwin.org/projects/darwinbuild/

Note that the latest official release, OpenDarwin 8.0.1 (basis of Mac OS
X Tiger), appears to be released as two separate CDs for the two
platforms, so its build scripts may have removed fat support.

-jeff